Friday 17 October 2008

Dover

I finally caved in and bought a bicycle GPS, a Garmin Edge 705. In retrospect I should have bought one earlier in the summer, as it really does takes all the hassle out of navigation. I will now be able to go on many interesting cross-country jaunts that I had put off due to the hassle of preparing navigation notes.

I broke it in on a ride down to Dover. I set it to keep me off major roads, and it took me on very quiet back-country lanes, and sometimes I didn't see a car for half an hour. The downside of staying off the main roads was that it was very very hilly. The 110 km route had more vertical elevation gain than some 100-mile rides I have done. Ouch.

2 comments:

Gordon said...

The weather looks great, but if the altitude plot is reasonably accurate I'd have to agree with the 'ouch', especially for the huge dip between 65 and 70km. That for real? And did you bike back home, stay the night, or catch a train?

Michael Sanders said...

Yes, the elevation plot is accurate! It's actually missing a couple of early climbs as I only turned on route tracking half an hour into the ride. I took the train back, as I has done 124km by Dover and it was only an hour before sunset.